Garage doors can last your home a very long time. They look nice and protect your personal items and vehicles from the elements. And in some cases, you can choose one that has a lot of insulation so that you will be able to keep your home a little warmer than before. Choosing the right garage door is going to be a big decision and it is important for you to take your time to research all of the options that are out there.
What is a Roll-Up Garage Door?
For homeowners who need a nice garage door that is compact and easy to use, then the rolling garage door is the right one for you to choose. This type of garage door is going to consist of several slats of aluminum or steel that will just roll on up the barrel that is overhead in the garage. It is not found as often as some of the other garage door types, but it can be a unique option to have in your home.
The main benefit of choosing one of these doors is that you will not need to use any kind of horizontal track to put it up. If your garage is lower than a traditional one, this can be beneficial. It will take up less space so you can find a more efficient way to handle the door.
These doors will typically come with two metal layers and they will be filled with an insulating foam, much like what you will find with the sectional garage doors. With the two layers and the insulation in place, the door is designed to be secure and durable. Plus, it can help to keep the garage warmer than before. You will find that the security is a great option for commercial garage doors, though you can use this on your home garage as well.
The biggest disadvantage of going with this kind of door is that there is not a lot of style to it and you can’t really add any customizations to this type of door as well. You can do a bit with the design, but this is often limited to the color and the finish that you would like on the door.
The typical installation of this roll-up door is going to be found behind the opening of the garage. This limits the width that comes with this. It is also possible to do it in between and outside the opening if that will work better for your needs. The roller door, when it is installed properly, will be able to operate pretty smoothly and it can easily be attached to a garage door opener to make this even easier than before.
Not everyone is going to choose this type of garage door. It is not as pretty as some of the others and there are limitations on what you can do to make it your own. However, if you are looking for a garage door that is aluminum or steel and you have a limited amount of space, then the roll-up door is a good choice.
What are the Advantages of a Roll-Up Door?
It is a good idea to compare the benefits and disadvantages of a garage door before you decide to go with one style over another. There is a lot to love about this type of garage door, even though it is not the traditional look and style that you will find on the neighbors doors either. Some of the benefits that you will be able to enjoy with the rolling door includes:
- It is a compact solution. It will not take up a lot of space, so when space is limited, this is the door to choose.
- It is not going to cause any narrowing of the drive-through width. If that amount of space is already limited for you, then this can be a good choice.
- It does not require a lot of maintenance to get it to work well. You need to check it on occasion, but it does require very little work from the owner.
- Can turn it into an automatic door if you would like that easy feature, and it will not cost as much as some of the others.
- The structure is durable, which will help it to last a lot longer than some of the other doors.
- Most of the models of this kind of door will be insulated. This can add more protection and energy efficiency to the door overall.
What are the Negatives of a Roll-Up Door?
Before you run right out to your local garage door professionals to purchase a roll-up door, it is important to look at the other side of things as well. What are some of the reasons that people will not choose to get this kind of door on their house?. Some of the negatives of going with the roll-up door includes:
- These are not budget friendly. If you are trying to save money on the garage door replacement, then these doors are not going to be the right one for you. They are designed to last a long time though so weighing that in can make them worth it.
- You will not get a lot of choices when it comes to the appearance and design of the doors. If you would like to customize the door and make it look exactly how you want, then this is not the choice for you.
There are benefits and negatives to all types of garage doors that you are able to choose. You will need to take the time to look at each one to determine whether a door is a good choice for you. And the same can be said with the roll-up door. It can work well for a lot of people, but there are some who would do better with a different style.
Choosing a roll-up garage door can make a lot of sense for many homeowners. It is compact and can save a lot of space that other garage doors are going to use up quickly. However, it is not going to work for all of the garages that you would like to use. Our team at Garage Door Medics in Murrieta will be able to walk you through all of the options that are available, ensuring that you are able to find the exact right type of door for your home. Contact us today to get started.